Although from a distance making a homemade pie sounds long and drawn out, it’s actually super easy! What’s fabulous about this recipe, is everything! It’s a handful of staple kitchen ingredients, packed with apples, can easily be made in bulk, pie crust can be chilled and saved for later use or other recipes.
The Perfect Apple Pie [Vegan]
To Make the Pie:
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (outside, optional)
To Make the Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (more as necessary) coconut oil, cool enough to be solid
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-5 tablespoons ice water
- Combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar in the bowl.
- Add your solid coconut oil and with your hand combine until mixture is crumbly and will stick together when you squeeze it.
- Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, or until the dough holds together well when you make a handful of it and form a disc.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the coconut sugar, flour and spices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss sliced/peeled apples with lemon juice. Add sugar/flour/spice mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom crust; press into dish, trim pastry even with edge.
- Fill with apple mixture; dot with vegan butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Melt vegan butter; brush over pastry.
- Sprinkle with extra sugar (optional).
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.