It’s tough to break up with cheese. Thankfully, you don’t have to, even if you’re cutting back on cheese. This tangy tofu and cashew-based ricotta is perfect for all your ricotta needs — and it’s so easy to make! Try it in manicotti, baked ziti, and lasagna. It’s so tasty, you might even just want to eat it on toast!
Tangy Cashew Tofu Ricotta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- one 14-ounce block firm tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 5 turns of black peppercorn
- Take the block of tofu out of package and rinse with water. Next, press the liquid out of the tofu by using a tofu press, or by placing the tofu on a plate and carefully stacking more plates on top of it. Make sure the plates are heavy enough to press the liquid out of the tofu. Let it set like this for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and discard the water from the cashews and place the cashews into your food processor, along with the lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, dried oregano, dried basil, onion granules, salt and pepper. Process until there are no chunks of cashews and everything is blended up. Turn off the food processor and scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Add the tofu to the food processor and pulse a few more times until the tofu is crumbled up and all the ingredients are mixed together. Transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator.