Doughnuts for dinner? Yes. Sweet meets savory with these delicious sushi doughnuts, and it totally works! I mean, who doesn't want a plate of doughnuts for dinner? These are dressed in colorful toppings like pink radish, orange and purple carrot, cabbage, cucumber, green onion, and sesame. Served with avocado on the side of course. Dunk these in some soy sauce and it's the perfect combo; like dougnuts and coffee, one would say. There is something to say about decorating your dinner - because I swear, everything tastes better when it's in the shape of a doughnut!
Sushi Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Coconut oil, for molding
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2-3 carrots (purple and/or orange)
- 5-6 radish
- 5-6 green onion
- 2 avocados (optional)
- Sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- Soy sauce/tamari, for dipping
- And water and rice to a pot and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to simmer, cover with a lid, and cook for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In a saucepan combine rice vinegar, sugar, salt, and sesame oil. Bring to low heat and stir to combine.
- When rice is cooked remove from heat and pour in the liquid mixture in batches, stirring rice to combine.
- Cover pot of rice with clean dish towel and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then scoop rice onto a clean surface and spread it out to cool slightly before handling.
- Prepare your veggies for topping: Using a vegetable peeler thinly slice the cucumber and carrots lengthwise into thin ribbons. Thinly slice radish, green onion, and avocados.
- When rice is cool enough to handle lather doughnut moulds with a bit of coconut oil. (I used a 6-cavity silicon doughnut mould for this). Scoop rice into doughnut moulds to cover. Pulling apart the rice in the middle to form a hollow circle. Then flip mould onto a flat surface to expose doughnut shapes.
- Decorate each doughnut with cabbage, cucumber, carrots, radish, green onion, and avocado. Sprinkle each with sesame seeds. Serve with tamari or soy sauce. Option to also serve with any remaining veggies on the side.