This creamy hummus provides an aromatic unique version of your favorite spread. The sprouted chickpeas are blended with fresh basil and Mayer lemons and the result is a lighter, perfumed version of hummus that goes perfectly with warm weather and springtime.
Sprouted Meyer Lemon Basil Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Sprouted Meyer Lemon Basil Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup chickpeas beans, dry (2 cups cooked)
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/4 plus 2 tablespoons cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Meyer lemon, segmented
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Meyer lemon zest
- Basil leaves
- Cucumber, diced into small cubes
How to Prepare Sprouted Meyer Lemon Basil Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Soak the beans overnight, by placing them in a large bowl and covering them with water. They will expand to over double their size so make sure you cover by several inches of water to allow for expansion. Soak overnight for at least 12 hours then drain and rinse well.
- Leave them in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator for 4-5 days or until they sprout. Rinse them once a day.
- If you're using raw beans and want to cook them, rinse the beans then put them into a pot and cover with several inches of water.
- Bring the water to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer on medium heat for about 40-60 minutes or until soft. Depending on the type and freshness, sometimes they may take even longer.
- Make sure and check on them at 30 minutes. They should be very fairly tender pressed between your fingers but not too mushy. Pinch each bean to remove the skins. This will ensure a creamy hummus.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to a food processor and purée them until they're smooth.
- Scrape the sides and bottom at least once. Scoop this into a large bowl and then drizzle some olive oil and garnish it with basil, Meyer lemon zest, and cucumber.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.