The base for the congee gets most of its flavor from the mushrooms, but it’s actually a plain congee that’s dressed up by the toppings that you choose. This is a great get-well-fast soup and is gentle on your stomach. You can serve with soy sauce, sesame oil, and cilantro.
Slow Cooker Shiitake Congee (Rice Porridge) [Vegan]
- 8 cups water or broth
- 4 cups thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups thinly sliced button, baby bella, shiitake mushrooms or combination
- 1 cup brown rice (this recipe used long grain)
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger
Serving Ingredients - Optional:
- Soy sauce
- Chopped hot peppers
- Extra grated ginger
- Leftover cooked veggies
- Tofu cubes
- The night before: Prepare the mushrooms and ginger, and store in the fridge.
- In the morning: Add the water, mushrooms, rice, and ginger to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- To serve, place your chosen toppings on the table and let everyone make it their favorite way.