Sweet and mildly spicy, hearty and delicious, this sloppy sandwich is husband, kid, and carnivore approved! The easy coleslaw is the perfect cooling contrast to the BBQ sauce. It comes together quickly and easily. You’re going to want seconds! The BBQ sauce is a little sweet and a little heat balance perfectly in this easy blender sauce. It will make you want to slather everything in BBQ sauce!
Sloppy BBQ Chickpea Sandwiches [Vegan]
For the Sweet-and-Spicy BBQ Sauce:
- 6 ounces (170 g) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (60 g) pure maple syrup
- 1–2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water, to thin, or more as needed
For the Cheater Vegan Coleslaw:
- 1/2 cup (85 g) plant-based mayo
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 package (14 ounces, or 390 g) store-bought coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon (1 g) chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
For the Pineapple Chickpea BBQ Sandwiches:
- 1 recipe Sweet-and-Spicy BBQ Sauce (page 165)
- 2 cans (15 ounces, or 425 g each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups [492 g] cooked chickpeas)
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 burger buns (gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 recipe Cheater Vegan Coleslaw Pickle slices (optional)
To Make the Sloppy BBQ Chickpea Sandwiches:
- Place all the ingredients into a blender; use 2 chipotle peppers if you like it spicier. Purée until smooth.
- Transfer sauce to a pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until thick, or until the desired consistency is reached.
- When the Sweet-and-Spicy BBQ Sauce is done simmering and has thickened up to your liking, add the chickpea mixture and stir well. Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, scoop some of the BBQ chickpeas onto a bun. Top with the Cheater Vegan Coleslaw and sliced pickles, if desired. Devour.
To Make the Cheater Vegan Coleslaw:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, yellow mustard, and celery salt. Add the coleslaw mix and toss well until everything is well covered.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Sprinkle on fresh cilantro, if using, for garnish just before serving.
To Make Pineapple Chickpea BBQ Sandwiches:Make the Sweet-and-Spicy BBQ Sauce. While it cooks, add one can of chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or a fork. Add the other can of chickpeas, onion, pineapple, and cilantro.
If you have your kids in the kitchen, have them mix the coleslaw ingredients and mash the chickpeas. The Sweet-and-Spicy BBQ Sauce and the Cheater Vegan Coleslaw can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge. When ready to eat, this meal can be ready in about 15 minutes!