The challenge that most run into when it comes to making homemade veggie burger patties is that they tend to quickly fall apart. The great thing about these burgers is that they hold together surprisingly well. They are hearty, flavorful, and go well with barbecue sauce or any of your other favorite burger toppings. If you don't own a barbecue, they can be cooked in a pan on the stove-top for an easy weeknight meal.
Hearty Lentil and Brown Rice Burger [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Hearty Lentil and Brown Rice Burger [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
How to Prepare Hearty Lentil and Brown Rice Burger [Vegan]
- Combine the lentils, brown rice, onion, carrot, garlic, cumin, sage, and salt in a medium-size saucepan. Add the water and vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and boil gently until the rice and lentils are tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Drain in a colander to remove any excess liquid. Let cool slightly, then process in a food processor with a steel blade until you have a fairly smooth texture. Form into six burger patties.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill with a lightly oiled vegetable rack in place.
- Mist both sides of the burgers with nonstick spray. Grill the burgers until crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Serve in a bun with your favorite toppings.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 48 | Carbs: 12 g | Fat: 0 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 490 mg | Sugar: 2 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.