Grapefruit donuts are the perfect morning treat! Healthy, sweet and tangy, bursting with bright grapefruit and orange flavor, inside and out — they're oh-so-decadent! They're made with gluten-free oats, shredded coconut, buckwheat, and a decadent orange coconut butter frosting, but a chocolate frosting would be just as good.
Raw Grapefruit Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup buckwheat, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, quartered and seeded
- 1 large orange, peeled, quartered and seeded
- Zest of 1 large unwaxed orange
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut nectar
For the Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Add shredded coconut, buckwheat to a high-speed blender and blend into a fine flour, set aside. Place grapefruit and orange into a food processor fitted with the "S" blade and process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 7 equal portions and roll into small dough balls, then flatten the balls and simply press a hole through the center. Make the hole with your finger or use apple corer to creating the shape.
- Place in the dehydrator and dehydrate at 140°F for 1 hour. Decrease heat to 115°F and continue to dehydrate about 2-3 hours. Remove from the dehydrator and dip each doughnut in the coconut butter glaze slightly half way up the sides, letting the excess to drip off. Then place them on the wire rack glaze side up. After you have dipped the doughnuts drizzle with orange zest. Repeat until all doughnuts are coated. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator