Throw away all of your preconceived notions about doughnuts and get ready to see them in a whole new light! This recipe proves that healthy doughnuts not only exist, they are delicious. These are made with buckwheat and oat flour, spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and topped with a raw, creamy, and lemony frosting. There are even a few hidden ingredients thrown in! Yum.
Raw Chocolate Lemon Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnut:
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 4-5 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons oat fiber or 2 tablespoons flax powder
For the Frosting:
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon no-sugar-added berry jam of your choice
- 2 droppers orange stevia liquid
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4–1/3 cup granola (Granola makes it technically not raw. Omit for raw or try rawnola.)
- 1/8 cup carob chunks or chocolate of choice
- In a bowl, mix your dry ingredients thoroughly, then pour in the applesauce, syrup and carrots, and mix until combined.
- Split your dough into 9 then roll the bits into balls. Place on a lined baking tray and press down slightly with your hands. Use whatever object you have on hand to cut out a doughnut hole and set that aside on another plate. Repeat with all nine and use leftover doughnut holes.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes while you prepare your topping.
- Place all your ingredients (except the granola) in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spread the topping evenly over the doughnuts with a small knife or the back of a teaspoon, it will resemble the consistency of hummus.
- Melt your chocolate/carob chunks and drizzle them on top, then quickly sprinkle on some of the granola before it hardens.
- Store in freezer and defrost for 5 or so minutes before serving.