Ribollita, by definition, is a Tuscan bread soup. This veganized version of it is soothing and colorful. Give this feel good soup a try and you won't be disappointed.
Rainbow Ribollita [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 large onions, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (or more), finely chopped/minced
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1-2 bunches (about 3 cups) chopped swiss chard, stalks and leaves, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 head chopped cauliflower
- 1 can beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 4 cups-6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup vegan parm
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thick crusty bread, cut into chunks, sliced for dipping, or croutons to stick right on top!
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, carrot, swiss chard stalks and chili flakes, if you’re using them. Saute for about 10-15 minutes, until onion are soft and begin to slightly brown.
- Add swiss chard leaves, cauliflower, beans, tomatoes, thyme and 4 cups veggie stock. If all of the ingredients aren’t covered by the stock, add the additional 2 cups veggie stock, or water to top it off.
- Cover and bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- After an hour, check that vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Stir in vegan parm, you can add some extra nutritional yeast for cheesy flavour if desired.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your choice of bread, for dipping, or if you’re going for a more traditional ribollita, cut it in to chunks and just toss it right in there…croutons, ciabbata, baguette, you name it, and some additional vegan parm of course. Enjoy!