When mixed with vegetable broth and a bit of nutritional yeast, potatoes and vegetables like carrots are able to create a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce! In this case, the potatoes and carrots both have purple hues, creating a beautiful and uniquely colored dish when tossed with mac and cheese. Get a little more color on your table with this creative entrée.
Purple Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Purple Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- 8-ounce box of macaroni, cooked according to the package’s directions
- 4 large purple carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 of 1 sweet red onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 8 small purple potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/2 of 1 small beet
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste or chickpea miso paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
How to Prepare Purple Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepot. Add the carrots, onion, potatoes, and cashews. Boil for 10 minutes. While the vegetables are boiling, prepare a large bowl of ice water. When the vegetables are done, drain them, and immediately submerge them in the ice bath. This will help them retain their bright purple color. Once cool, remove the veggies and cashews from the ice bath.
- At the same time that you are preparing the boiled vegetables, wrap 1/2 of 1 small beet in foil and bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes.
- In a blender, blend the vegetables and cashews with the nutritional yeast, garlic, miso, broth, mustard, and cayenne. Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Gently reheat the sauce in a sauce pot over low-medium heat. and prepare the macaroni at this time as well.
- Toss the sauce with macaroni and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.