Colorful kale, sweet prunes, and tangy pickled red onion. This creative sushi looks almost too good to eat!
Purple and Pink Sushi [Vegan]
- Sushi rice, cooked according to the instructions on the package
- Rice vinegar
- Nori ( seaweed ), 1 piece per roll
- A handful of kale leaves, purple or green
- Prunes, about 3 small ones per roll
- Juice from 1 lime
- Pickled red onion
- When the rice is cooked, mix in rice vinegar to taste and let the rice cool.
- Thinly slice the prunes and place in a small bowl. Add freshly squeezed lime juice until the prune slices are covered. Let marinate for at least 30 mins.
- When the rice has cooled, place a piece of nori on your bamboo mat with the shiny side facing down. Alternatively, use a cutting board. Spread a thin layer of rice on the nori, about three quarters up the nori.
- Create a line of kale leaves in the middle of the rice. add another very thin layer of rice on top of the kale. Place prunes and pickled onions in a line in the middle of the new layer of rice.
- Roll the nori tightly. you can carefully hold the filling in place with your fingers while you roll. Once you reach the upper edge, use a few pieces of rice, or a tiny bit of water, to make the nori edge stick the roll. Cut the roll into pieces, however thick you like.
- Serve with soy sauce or tamari, and wasabi. Use leftover kale leaves as garnish.
- Purple Foods