This pumpkin cheesecake bread was created for everybody with an affinity for all things pumpkin. The bread is packed with spices and pumpkin purée — which gives this bread a high moisture content, so if you prefer a dryer bread, omit the flax egg. The bread is wrapped around a cheesecake filling and topped with a simple icing and crunchy toasted walnuts.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread [Vegan]
For the Bread:
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal, plus 3 tablespoons water) — for a less moist bread, omit this ingredient
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid-state coconut oil (vegetable oil may be substituted)
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream (for a less moist bread, omit this ingredient)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt, to taste (optional)
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 8-ounce container softened vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- Toasted walnuts, for topping (optional)
How to Prepare Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread [Vegan]
To Make the Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray one 9x5-inch loaf pan with coconut oil or grease with vegan butter.
- In a large bowl, add the first ten ingredients through ground nutmeg, and whisk to combine. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and optional salt, then fold with a spatula or spoon until just combined; don't overmix. Set aside. Turn about two-thirds of the batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula and pushing it into corners and sides as necessary; set aside.
- Turn about two-thirds of the batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula and pushing it into corners and sides as necessary. Set aside.
To Make the Cream Cheese Filling:
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and whisk to combine.
To Make the Bread:
- Evenly spread the cream cheese filling mixture over the bread, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula and pushing it into corners and sides as necessary.
- Top filling with remaining pumpkin batter, smooth the top very lightly with a spatula without disturbing the cream cheese layer, and pushing the batter into corners and sides. Bake for about 48 minutes, or until the top is domed, golden, and the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Bake for about 48 minutes, or until the top is domed, golden, and the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. If the top appears to be done yet, it's not fully cooked on the inside, tent the pan with a sheet of foil draped over it at the 35-minute mark. Baking times may vary based on the moisture content of pumpkin, cream cheese, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock. Allow bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make the Icing:
- Combine the icing ingredients and top with toasted walnuts. Bread will keep airtight at room temperature for up to a week or in the freezer for up to six months.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 3329 | Total Carbs: 519 g | Total Fat: 128 g | Total Protein: 27 g | Total Sodium: 1328 g | Total Sugar: 371 g (Per Serving) Calories: 416 | Carbs: 65 g | Fat: 16 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 166 g | Sugar: 46 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.