Get ready to take your breakfast and brunch dishes to the next level. This quiche is based on a light flaky crust and then layered with savory potatoes, a creamy tofu layer, and then some delicious vegan cheese.
Potato and ‘Cheddar’ Quiche [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pads
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold vodka
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened
For the Filling:
- 6-8 medium potatoes, pre-roasted with skin on
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup green onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium red pepper
- 2 pounds firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces vegan cheddar cheese
- Add all the crust ingredients, except the vodka, and pulse them until the butter's well dispersed.
- Then drizzle in the vodka. At this point turn the machine on and let it run for 10-20 seconds. If the dough sticks together, skip the milk step. If not, add a bit of milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it sticks together.
- Put the dough on a floured board and roll it until you have the desired size.
- Lay this into a pre-sprayed pan.
- Set it aside and get into the filling stage.
- Pre-roast your potatoes at 425°F with olive oil, salt, and vinegar for about 30 minutes or until well they're browned on both sides.
- You'll also want to pre-cook the pepper, onions and garlic. Mince these well and sauté for about 5 minutes over medium heat. For the tofu filling, add the remaining ingredients and spices (except cheese) to your food processor and run it until smooth.
- Now layer the potatoes, tofu filling, veggies, and cheese as you see fit. The specific layers don't matter.
- When it's ready, stick the whole thing in the oven at 375°F for 40 minutes or until the crust's edges are browning and the filling looks bubbly, especially in the middle.
- Rack it to cool and serve it hot, warm, cool, or cold.