This peanut butter mousse is airy, light and absolutely decadent!
Peanut Butter Mousse [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Peanut Butter Mousse [Vegan]
For the Peanut Butter:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter (unsweetened, natural)
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
For the Aquafaba:
- 1/2 cup chickpea brine (aquafaba)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
For the Chocolate Drizzle (optional)
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- store bought coconut whipped cream (optional)
How to Prepare Peanut Butter Mousse [Vegan]
- Place a can of coconut milk in the fridge 2 days before making the recipe so that the cream of the coconut milk has time to separate from the liquid. You only want to use the thick cream for this recipe not the liquid part of a can of coconut milk.
- Prepare the peanut butter/coconut mixture first. Add the coconut cream and peanut butter to a glass bowl. Place the glass bowl above a boiling pot of water. The bowl shouldn't touch the water so choose a bigger glass bowl and a smaller pot. Whisk the coconut cream and peanut butter until fully melted. Then add the maple syrup and whisk until everything is combined. It will be thick but smooth.
- Fill a large 9×9 tray (or whatever will hold ice and the glass bowl) with ice and transfer the glass bowl with the peanut butter/ coconut cream mixture to it. Let it cool in an ice bath.
- While the peanut butter mixture is cooling, prepare the aquafaba. Add 1/2 cup of aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) to a large bowl. Use a KitchenAid mixer or hand beaters for this process. Whip on high speed until frothy (roughly 5-7 minutes), then add the cream of tartar. Next, add the powdered sugar, 2 tbsp at a time. Continue to whisk between each addition of icing sugar. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form. This whole whisking process will take roughly 20 minutes.
- Remove the peanut butter mixture from the ice bath and begin to fold in the whipped aquafaba with a spatula. Fold until no more white is visible. Transfer to a glass container, or a few small jars and seal with the lids. Place in the fridge for at least 6 hours. Overnight is best.
- Prepare the chocolate drizzle before serving the mousse. Add the chocolate and coconut oil to a small pot on very low heat. Whisk often to avoid burning. Whisk until smooth and all melted. Top the mousse with the chocolate and coconut whip (optional).
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.