This powerhouse meal is loaded with Mexican-inspired flavor and ingredients that will keep you full. Quinoa, black beans, and chickpeas bring on the protein and chopped red bell pepper is mixed in for fresh flavor and crunch. It's cheesy, warm, and takes only one pan to make.
One-Pan Cheesy Mexican Quinoa [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2/3 cup salsa, of choice
- 2/3 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the pepper, onion, and garlic, and cook until lightly golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Into the pan, add the broth, frozen corn, salsa, chickpeas, black beans, nutritional yeast, cumin, salt, and a pinch of pepper, and stir well.
- Stir in the quinoa until all the grains are incorporated into the liquid. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pan and place it into the oven. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid, about 40-45 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.