This cake tastes so good it will make you feel better – that and it has healthy seasonal berries and bananas to help you get through the day. The dense, rich cake is studded with fresh berries, topped with a mouthwatering crumble, and then finished with a homemade berry syrup. Good cake makes everyone feel better and this is a darn good cake.
Mood-Boosting Berry Vanilla Crumble Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 3 1/2 cups gluten-free oats, ground into a flour
- 1/3 cup stevia or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 overripe banana
- 1-3 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 5.3 ounces choice of berries
For the Topping:
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free oat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds or almond flour
- 3 tablespoons stevia or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons solid coconut oil or vegan butter
For the Berry Sauce:
- 3 1/2 ounces choice of berries
- 2 tablespoons stevia
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease and line a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Mix together the ground almonds/almond flour, oat flour, stevia, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Place the banana, milk, oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar in a blender and mix them up until they're smooth – if you don’t have a blender simply mash the banana and whisk with the other ingredients.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients and fold it in to form a batter. Spoon this into your prepared tin then scatter the berries on top.
- Make the crumb topping by rubbing all the ingredients together with your fingers to form a crumble mixture. Scatter this over the berries.
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes, until golden, risen, and firm to the touch. Wait for it to cool before removing it from the tin.
- Meanwhile, make the berry sauce by placing the berries in a pan with 2 tablespoons of water and your choice of sweetener.
- Bring this to the boil and simmer it for 5 minutes until the berries have softened and the juices have run. Press this through a sieve and keep the juice.