No cholesterol, low-fat, high in fiber, high potassium, keeps you full, and is so simple dinner time stress is greatly reduced. Sounds like this recipe is a winner all around!
Mexican Rice Soup [Vegan]
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1, 15 ounce can low-sodium black beans
- 1, 15 ounce can low-sodium kidney beans
- 1, 15 ounce can low-sodium pinto beans
- 1, 15 ounce can no-salt added petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup brown rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toppings: Lime wedges, Baked tortilla chips, Cilantro
- Heat a large saucepan to medium-high heat. When hot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Saute for 7-10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. If onion and garlic start to stick, add 1 tablespoon of water or vegetable broth at a time, as needed.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients. Stir. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low/simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes, until rice is cooked. Season with salt and pepper, if needed, to taste.
- Serve with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!