Many vegan versions of meatloaf are made with tofu, veggie ground round, tvp, or even seitan. Those tofu-averse will be happy to know there is no tofu or veggie meats in this loaf. This savory version uses only lentils, cracked wheat, oats, and chia seed, along with a mix of seasonings to make it all magically come together!
Lentil Oat Meatloaf [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Oat Meatloaf [Vegan]
For the Loaf:
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3/4 cup bulgur or gluten-free steel cut oats
- 1 cup water, boiled
- 1/4 cup natural ketchup
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled or quick oats
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground white chia or flax meal
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (see note for gluten-free version)
- 2 tablespoons tahini or sunflower seed butter
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper. to taste
For the Topping:
- 3-4 tablespoons natural ketchup
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional) or 2 teaspoon vegan barbecue sauce (optional)
How to Prepare Lentil Oat Meatloaf [Vegan]
- Combine the lentils, vegetable stock, 1/3 cup of water, and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 25-30 minutes, until just about tender.
- Once done, add the bulgur and boiling water, cover, and cook on medium-low heat for another 8-9 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly oil an oven-proof glass loaf pan and line the bottom of the pan with a strip of parchment paper to cover (place it in to protrude along the short ends of the pan; this helps for easier removal of the veggie loaf from the pan).
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once the bulgur is cooked, remove the bay leaf and add all the remaining ingredients (except topping). Stir very well. Transfer the mixture to prepared pan and pack it in. Spread the topping mixture over the top.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25-28 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes or so, before cutting to slice and serve.
Allergy-Free or Bust!; Despite its not having any tofu, tempeh, or TVP, I cannot technically categorize this recipe as “soy free” because of the inclusion of tamari and vegan Worcestershire sauce. These are important seasonings in the loaf. That said, to replace the Worcestershire for a gluten-free version, use instead an extra 1⁄2 tablespoon of wheat-free tamari, along with an extra 1⁄2 teaspoon of molasses, and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Savvy Subs and Adds: If you’d like to add some veggies to the loaf, try adding 1⁄2 cup of seeded and finely chopped green pepper, or 1⁄4 cup of finely chopped celery (stir into the mixture with the seasonings).
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- BBQ Sauce
- Green Lentil
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
- Veggie Loaf
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 286 | Carbs: 46 g | Fat: 8 g | Protein: 13 g | Sodium: 744 mg | Sugar: 15 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.