A dosa is a popular dish in South Indian cuisine typically served for breakfast, traditionally made from rice and lentils. In this recipe, dosa is stuffed with a spicy, savory sweet potato filling. It’s filling, flavorful, and packed full of good carbs to give you the best start to your day.
Masala Dosa With Sweet Potato Filling [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Dosa batter, as required
- 1 sweet potato, boiled and peeled
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black lentils
- 1/2-inch piece ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 4-5 green chilis
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida, onion powder, or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Salt, as required
- First, boil the sweet potato with some salt and turmeric powder. Mash it lightly. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Then, add and fry the black lentils until they turn golden brown. Mash and add ginger and garlic to it along with minced green chilis.
- Next, add the onions and saute until they turn translucent. Now add the tomatoes, curry leaves, salt, and asafoetida. Sauté until the tomatoes are cooked. Next, add the bell peppers and green peas. Saute until the vegetables are cooked. Add the mashed sweet potato and give it a good mix.
- It's time to add the seasonings, like turmeric powder and coriander cumin powder. Lastly, garnish it with cilantro. Mix it all together and take this mixture off the heat. Heat a skillet/tava, Pour a dollop of dosa batter and spread it like a pancake. You may add oil around the edges if needed. Add a spoonful of the sweet potato mixture in the center and let it cook for a minute.
- Fold both ends and close the dosa. Take it off the skillet. Serve with any chutney/sambhar.