Who doesn’t love Mac n Cheese? It’s just the best when it comes to needing a comforting meal which gives you a big hug from the inside out. It may not be the healthiest but this version has added spinach and tomatoes so there’s a little less to feel guilty about. Life is about balance anyway right?
Mac and Cheese With Spinach and Tomatoes [Vegan]
- 4 cups macaroni pasta
- 1/3 cup vegan spread
- 1/3 CUP plain flour
- 2 cups plant milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes – washed and halved
- A few handfuls of spinach – washed
- 1 large white onion – finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of nooch (nutritional yeast) – optional but very tasty and good for you too
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- A dash of oil for frying the onion
- Preheat your oven to 360ºF.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the macaroni for 8 minutes on a low boil.
- Drain and rinse under the cold tap to prevent further cooking, set aside.
- In a saucepan melt your vegan spread.
- Once melted add in the flour and using a balloon whisk mix well to form a smooth paste and allow to cook for two minutes to cook off the taste of the flour, whisking as you go.
- Slowly add the milk a little at a time, whisking well.
- Heat gently and continue to whisk, after approximately 3-5 minutes you will notice your sauce start to thicken.
- Once thickened season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in 3/4 of your grated cheese and stir well till melted. If adding the creme fraiche stir in now.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry off the onion till crispy and golden brown. Add into the cheese sauce, save a few to sprinkle on top.
- Mix the macaroni and spinach into the cheese sauce and tip into a large oven proof dish.
- Scatter the halved cherry tomatoes, nooch and remaining grated cheese over the top and finish off with some black pepper and a touch more salt.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or till the top is golden brown and you can see the pasta and sauce bubbling beneath the surface.
- Serve immediately when piping hot.