Grain-free? Don't let that stop you from digging into a plate of waffles! Made from plantains and coconut flour, these crisp, golden waffles are paleo-friendly and completely vegan. Serve topped with your favorite fruit and plenty of maply syrup.
5-Ingredient Paleo Waffles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Waffles:
- 4 green plantains (about 2 cups plantains purée)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, plus 2 teaspoon cream of tartar (or 1 tablespoon baking powder)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the Toppings:
- Maple syrup
- Cut the plantains into three chunks each and purée in a food processor. They should be on the green side with some hues of yellow.
- Add the rest of ingredients to the food processor and mix briefly until smooth.
- Test the batter and adjust sweetness to taste by adding a little more maple syrup.
- Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your waffler, lightly greased with coconut oil.
- Scoop about half a cup of the batter in the middle of the waffler, spreading it a little with a spoon, and cook accordingly to your waffler instructions, normally for 4 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Serve immediately topped with maple syrup, fresh berries, chocolate, mint, and some love(or any other toppings you 'd like)!