The cake doughnuts in this recipe are moist, citrus-y, and topped with a sweet, lemon icing. As these doughnuts bake, the scent of warm, lemony baked goods will fill your home. These are best served fresh, with a cup of coffee, but they also make a great breakfast. If you're serving these to guests, garnish with lemon zest for some extra zing and for presentation.
Iced Lemon Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons orange juice
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add dry doughnut ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir well.
- Add wet doughnut ingredients in medium mixing bowl and stir well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet until combined.
- Spray or brush oil on doughnut pan. Scoop batter into pan.
- Place the pan in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Doughnuts should be slightly firm, but they will cook more even after you remove from oven.
To Make the Icing:
- While doughnuts are cooking, combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and juice of 1/2 lemon in a small mixing bowl. Slowly add orange juice 1/2 a tablespoon at a time, until icing consistency is reached. You do not want it so thick that you cannot spread it, but you also do not want it so thin that it soaks into your doughnuts and makes them soggy.
- Once doughnuts have completely cooled, remove from pan and slather icing on top.
- Serve immediately for best results.
If you don't have powdered sugar, you can make it by placing desired sugar in a blender and blending until turns into powered sugar. The doughnuts can be stored in air tight container for up to 5 days.