This stuffing recipe is so much healthier then your traditional stuffing. Full of nutritious veggies and a little protein boost….lentils! No need for store bought bread crumbs, fresh bread gives it an extra kick. It absorbs all the yummy flavours, contributing to an even yummier stuffing.
Herb and Lentil Stuffing [Vegan]
- 4 cups cubed fresh bread or 1 loaf (this recipe used french bread)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1 1/2 cup carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 1/2 cups veggie broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cube the fresh loaf of bread and spread out evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 min. or until bread is toasted and a bit crispy.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Finely chop up the onion and sauté in pan till fragrant and translucent. Stir in carrots and celery and cook for 8 min or until veggies are tender. Stir in spices and cook for another 5 min. Set aside.
- Combine bread, cooked veggies, cooked lentils, and veggie broth in a large bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix everything together until the bread is coated evenly.
- Grease a casserole or rectangular baking dish. Place stuffing mixture in the dish. Cover with aluminium foil and bake at 325°F for 25-30 min.
- Optional: Top with mushroom gravy. Enjoy!