The deep flavors of the base are coaxed to gentle flavorful sweetness and then married with a hint of spice and mellowed with the richness of a touch of cream, coconut cream that is. The cubed tofu is simmered in this sauce for about 15 minutes and voila, you have a dish that is elegant, healthy and quite luscious to eat. I have played around with this recipe to get it to its current vegan state and if you like the creamy flavors of a tikka masala sauce, you should give this healthier version a try. I have a couple of variations of this very attractive and flavorful sauce, I tend to make one for pasta as well.
Healthy Tofu Tikka Masala [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Healthy Tofu Tikka Masala [Vegan]
- 2 roasted bell peppers, cut into large pieces
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 pods garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tandoori masala
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups cubed, extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
How to Prepare Healthy Tofu Tikka Masala [Vegan]
- Place the peppers, tomatoes and garlic in a large casserole. Drizzle with all but 2 tablespoons of the oil. Turn on the oven to 375 degrees and roast for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime heat the remaining oil for about 1 minute and add in the cumin seeds and wait until they sizzle, add in the onion and saute for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the ginger and the tandoori masala.
- Cool slightly, place the onions in the blender with the roasted vegetables and the coconut milk and blend into a smooth pureed.
- Place back in a pot and add in the salt, tofu and the fenugreek.
- Simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.