Though many things have been improved upon with time, there are a few thing that we simply got right the first time – like the Snickers bar ... This recipe combines the winning combo of chocolate, caramel, peanuts, and nougat into your favorite candy bar with one small twist; it's much healthier than the original and it's vegan! Did we say they got it right the first time? We meant to say we got it right this time.
Healthy Homemade Snickers Bar [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup oat flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Vanilla extract or powder
For the Filling:
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 2 big tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup peanuts, shelled
For the Coating:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Place all the ingredients for the base in your food processor and blend them until a sticky ball of dough forms.
- Press this onto a lined tin/baking tray and make sure it's spread evenly.
- Place this in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- For the filling, soak 1 cup of dates in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- Place them in your food processor and add the remaining ingredients for the caramel, except the shelled peanuts.
- Blend this on high until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Take the base out of the freezer and spread the caramel onto it. Put it back to set.
- For the chocolate coating, melt your coconut oil over a low heat, add in the cacao and maple syrup and stir the mixture well.
- Get your base out of the freezer again, cut it into bars (as big or small as you like), sprinkle some peanuts on each bar, and dip them in your chocolate – one at a time.
- Store them in your freezer or refrigerator until serving or dig in straight away.