This grilled tomato sauce, by Dawn Hutchins from Florida Coastal Cooking & Wellness, is so versatile and can be used in a number of dishes. Grilling the tomatoes give the flavor a depth and deliciousness that you won't forget!
Grilled Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 6 vine ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 sweet onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and lots of fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped basil
- Preheat the grill to medium, quarter the tomatoes and peel the garlic.
- Form some foil into a large "boat" and add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper inside the foil boat; fold over to make sure all sides are covered. Place the boat in a heat-safe pan so if the juices run out, it won't flare up. Place the foil packet over the grill flames and cook until tomatoes are soft; about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool - be sure to not let the juices run out.
- Place tomato mixture in a bowl; using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Add fresh chopped oregano and basil; taste and re-season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Add a bit of nutritional yeast into the sauce for a cheesy flavor. Optional: finish with some red pepper flakes.