A very festive dish, this green bean casserole is made oil-free for the holidays! Enjoy it with your loved ones for an awesome entree or side that you'll be going back for seconds for.
Green Bean Casserole [Vegan, Oil-Free]
Cashew Parmesan Ingredients (Make this first)
- 1 cup raw cashews (use sunflower seeds if you have a nut allergy)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Casserole Sauce Ingredients (Make this second)
- 2 pounds mushrooms, sliced (baby Bellas work but feel free to use your favorite variety)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1 pound fresh green beans, stems removed, cut in half, and steamed
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup Cashew Parmesan
- 1 batch Casserole Sauce
Cashew Parmesan Instructions
- Place all of the ingredients into a completely dry food processor or blender and pulse until it resembles small, coarse breadcrumbs. Transfer to a container and set aside.
- You will only need 1/4 cup for this dish, so save the rest and top lots of other things with it throughout the week. It goes well on nearly everything.
Casserole Sauce Instructions
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes, and then add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook 7- 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are nice and soft.
- Remove half of the mushrooms and set them aside. You will be using these for the casserole.
- Place the other half of the mushrooms into your blender, along with the cashews that you soaked in the water earlier (be sure to drain and discard the water first), garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, sage, marjoram, nutmeg, smoked paprika, lemon juice, and non-dairy milk.
- Blend until super smooth. If the sauce looks too thick, add a bit more non-dairy milk to thin it out.
- Make the Casserole Sauce and the Cashew Parmesan first!
- Did you make the Casserole Sauce and the Cashew Parmesan? If yes, continue. If no, go do that first and then come back.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes and then add the onions. Cook for about 7 minutes, adding a splash of water and stirring when they start to stick to the skillet or look dry. The onions should be a nice, deep brown color. When they’re nice and brown, turn off the heat and set them aside for now.
- Rinse the green beans and remove stem ends. Cut the beans in half or in thirds if they are exceptionally long. Place one cup of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot, followed by the IP trivet. Place the beans on top of the trivet. Set the timer for 1 minute, using the manual (or Pressure Cooker) setting, and use the quick release method when the timer is up. (if you do not have an IP, you can steam the green beans on the stovetop).
- Place the steamed green beans on the bottom of a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish, followed by half of the onions, the mushrooms you reserved earlier (from the casserole sauce), and all of the Casserole Sauce. Gently stir. Add the remaining onions on top, followed by the Cashew Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes until the sauce is slightly bubbling and heated through. If the onions begin to over-brown, lightly cover the casserole with foil until done.
- Beans - Green