This recipe was born on a night when I was overwhelmed, tired and too stubborn to go to the grocery store. When I searched my pantry for ideas I came up with cauliflower that seriously needed to be used up so it wouldn’t go bad. And for me, soup is second nature and effortless. The trick to adding lots of flavor without a ton of ingredients or time is in the onions. If you spend a little extra time cooking them on a lower heat they get caramelized, adding a ton more flavor to any dish.
5-Ingredient Cauliflower Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (can substitute 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat. Add a pinch of salt.
- Continue to cook the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 10-12 minutes. When the onions and garlic are soft and starting to brown, add the cauliflower and the rosemary.
- Turn the heat up just a little bit and cook the veggies for another 3-5 minutes. Add just enough vegetable broth to cover the cauliflower. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat so the broth is simmering.
- After about 5 minutes, remove the soup from the heat and blend until it’s super smooth and creamy looking. Taste for seasoning and serve hot!