This cake packs the moistness and flavor of oranges and sweetness of dates to create one of the most rich and delicious cakes you will ever try. And the best part? It is all plant-based!
Date and Orange Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar (powdered)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 25 soft dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Finely grated zest of 3 oranges
- Preheat oven to 360°F. Grease and dust the sides and line the bottom of one 7 x 7 inch square cake pan.
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Blend dates and 1 cup orange juice to get puree. Add white vinegar, sugar and oil and mix well. Add zest.
- Mix dry ingredients to wet ingredients till well incorporated. Add some more orange juice only if the batter feels thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven after 5 minutes and remove from the pan after another 5 minutes.
- Cool in the rack and slice next day. The cake tastes better next day and best after two days.