In the culinary world, tofu has a bad rap when it comes to taste and texture. However, when properly prepared, this bean curd will give you a flavourful and satisfying meal. With its mild taste, tofu absorbs the flavors from the seasonings, herbs, spices, sauces, and foods that accompany it. It’s one of the easiest and healthiest foods to cook and has become a staple among vegetarians and vegans.
Crispy Asian Peanut Tofu [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Crispy Asian Peanut Tofu [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- Two tofu blocks
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of the prepared peanut sauce (add a bit more if need be)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons of the breadcrumb mixture
For the Breadcrumb Coating:
- 1 cup store-bought breadcrumbs or store-bought crackers of choice that you can process
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds (black or brown)
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons 100% peanut butter (creamy), no additives. Mix well in jar prior to using.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 full tablespoon grated ginger root or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water (add a bit more if you prefer a fluid sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce (or any kind of hot chili sauce)
How to Prepare Crispy Asian Peanut Tofu [Vegan]
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumb coating ingredients to combine. Transfer to a glass jar as you will have leftover
- In a small bowl, mix together the peanut sauce ingredients with a fork. Keeps for 5-7 days in the fridge in a sealed jar.
- Rinse the tofu blocks under cold water and pat dry with a towel. Wrap the blocks in a paper towel and press for 10 minutes.
- Slice the pressed blocks lengthwise in half so that they are about 1 cm thick. Thickness matters with tofu.
- In a separate small bowl mix together 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut sauce and cornstarch with a fork. Brush the blocks with the mixture on both sides and edges and let stand for 10-15 minutes on the countertop.
- To bread the tofu, add about 2-3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs on a flat plate and coat each tofu block with the crumbs on both sides by pressing down with your fingers. Press down to lock the crumbs into the tofu.
- To fry the tofu slices, heat up a non-stick frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil. You don’t need much oil, about 1-2 tablespoons, or just enough to thinly coat the bottom of your pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Fry the breaded tofu slices until crispy golden, about 4 minutes per side and adjust the heat if need be. Try and not flip them too often. Use a metal spatula for flipping.
- Remove and slice into strips or cubes or triangles — whatever makes you happy! Serve with rice or noodles and vegetables of choice. Drizzle or dip with peanut sauce, as you wish! If you prefer, you can heat up the peanut sauce on low in microwave.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.