When it's cold outside, there's nothing better than a soup that's both rich and spicy. In this recipe, slices of avocado provide the perfect, cool and creamy contrast to the spicy roasted peppers. Served with a side of bread, this spicy soup will be your new favorite winter meal.
Creamy Roasted Poblano Soup [Vegan]
- 3 or 4 Poblano peppers
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 avocados
- Vegan sour cream (optional)
- Roast the skins of the peppers over a gas-top stove burner, or in oven broiler until all sides are blackened. Be sure to turn regularly for even roasting.
- Place peppers in a bowl and cover with a plate. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Sauté the onion until soft, then add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Rub blackened skin off peppers, using running water.
- Pull peppers open and rinse out seeds. Discard stem and top.
- Chop the peppers and add to onion and garlic. Sauté for one minute.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to simmer, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bring to a simmer, and then turn off heat.
- Use a handheld immersion blender to blend soup until smooth
- Chop half an avocado for each bowl. Add to bottom of bowl and top with soup.
- Serve topped with vegan sour cream.
- Hot Pepper