Roasted artichoke hearts are sprinkled with sea salt, stirred through cashew cream, and then spooned in to al dente pasta shells in this delicious and unique pasta entree. They're creamy, flavorful, and without heavy cheese or cream, they are relatively light. Drizzle with as much tomato and basil pasta sauce as you like!
Creamy Artichoke Pasta Shells [Vegan]
- 15 large pasta shells
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or for several hours
- 1/2 of 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Sea salt
For the Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce:
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 of 1 garlic globe
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- Sea salt
- 1 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- Olive oil
- Cracked pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 356°F.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic globe on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the garlic cloves are soft.
- Remove from the oven to cool.
- Slice the artichoke hearts in half and place on another baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the leaves begin to golden.
- Remove artichokes from the oven to cool slightly.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the pasta shells.
- Combine the roasted tomatoes, roast garlic, basil, and sea salt in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Clean out the blender and add the cashew cream ingredients and blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary. Transfer to a bowl.
- Roughly chop the roasted artichokes and stir them through the cashew cream. Set aside.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, lay the shells out on a baking sheet.
- Spoon a generous spoon of artichoke and cashew cream in to each shell. Spoon a dollop of tomato sauce over each filled shell.
- If the shells have cooled too much, place them in a baking tray and pop them in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Serve shells with a little drizzle of olive oil and a crack of black pepper.