The main ingredient in this dish is Chinese style sesame paste which is very different from Middle Eastern tahini. This is made with roasted sesame seeds. The recipe is very simple with a no-cook sauce. All the ingredients are mixed into a sauce and then tossed with the cooked noodles. You can add more vegetables if you like.
Chinese Cold Sesame Noodles [Vegan]
- 8-ounces Chinese noodles or spaghetti (dry)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame Chinese paste (roasted sesame seeds ground to a paste)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ginger root, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Chile garlic paste (adjust as per taste)
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain the water and rinse with cold water. Add a splash of sesame oil and toss to coat the noodles.
- In a small bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame paste, peanut butter, sugar, ginger, garlic, chile-garlic paste, and salt. Whisk well to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over cooked noodles. Toss well to evenly distribute the dressing.
- Garnish with cucumber and chopped peanuts and serve.
- Sesame Seeds