So many raw desserts contain nuts, which isn't great for our friends that are allergic. I usually beg for forgiveness and promise to, one day, bring a dessert they can enjoy. That one day never comes and then I feel guilty all over again as I debut yet another nut-filled dessert. Until now. I have finally gotten my act together and created a simple recipe with seeds!
Cherry Garcia Ice Cream Bars [Vegan, Raw]
1 4 x 6 pan
For the Ice Cream Bars:
- 1 cup shelled hemp seeds (soaked for 30 minutes)
- 1 1/2 cup cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- water as need to facilitate blending
For the Ganache:
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
To Make the Ice Cream:
- Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth. If you do not have a high-powered blender, blend the cherries with the maple syrup and a couple tablespoons of water first to break them down. Then add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a baking dish lined with plastic wrap. The baking dish I used was about 4" x 6", so relatively small. Place in the freezer, covered, overnight. (I use these in the freezer to keep my goods covered) Do not add the chocolate layer until the bars are frozen completely ... add the chocolate ganache the next morning just to be safe.
To Make the Ganache:
- Place everything in a small bowl and, using a fork, mix everything until well incorporated. If it is not perfectly smooth then continue to adjust your proportions until just right. Then pour your chocolate over the ice cream bars and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to set before serving.
Keep all of your tools completely dry while making the chocolate. Any moisture will cause the ingredients in the chocolate to seize and it will not be smooth enough to pour beautifully onto the bars!