Grab a hot beverage and curl up on the couch with these beautiful, buttery, and flavorful holiday cookies that are so easy to make! Once done, these cookies are scrumptious wafers of buttery cherry and almond. They’re sure to be a hit at your next holiday cookie exchange, Valentine’s Day party, or just in the comfort of your own cozy kitchen with a steamy cup of coffee or tea.
Cherry Almond Shortbread Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 cups (2 sticks) salted, dairy-free butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 25 finely chopped maraschino cherries
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream the butter and then add powdered sugar and cream together with a hand mixer. Add maraschino cherry juice, almond extract, and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth. Add flour and the chopped maraschino cherries to the bowl and work the two ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture using a spatula or your hands. Take care not to over-mix. You're going for well-combined, but not beaten.
- Scoop the mixture into the middle of a piece of plastic wrap, mold into a log shape about 1 1/2-inches in diameter, then roll up in the plastic wrap and tie off the ends. Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- After the dough has hardened in the freezer, preheat your oven to 350ºF. Cut the dough out of the plastic wrap and cut in 1/8-inch thick slices. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment and bake for 11-13 minutes or until the cookies are just beginning to turn golden brown.