Veg-centric take on the classic hot dog that’s vegan, gluten-free, and grain-free! Vegan carrot “hot dogs” stuffed inside baked Japanese yams “buns”.
Carrot Hot Dogs With Japanese Yam Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Carrot Hot Dogs With Japanese Yam Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6 Japanese yams, scrubbed and patted dry
- 6 large carrots
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari lite
- 1 tablespoon Brown Mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional for serving: Yellow Mustard, dill relish, fresh herbs
How to Prepare Carrot Hot Dogs With Japanese Yam Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Wash and scrub the Japanese yams and carrots. Chop off the tapered ends of each potato with a knife. Scrub the carrots and trim with a knife so that they are the same length as the sweet potato that you will be using. Pro tip: chop off thin end and keep as much of the thicker part of the carrot as possible for more uniform “dogs”.
- Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler and shave them to make them uniform in width. Pro tip: use the vegetable peeler to round out the ends of the carrots to make them look more like a “hot dog” shape!
- In a medium baking dish, mix together all of the ingredients for the marinade. Add in the carrots and marinade for 30 minutes at room temperature. Optional to skip this step if you’re pressed for time.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Stab several times with a fork. Place them in the oven along with the marinaded carrots in the baking dish.
- Bake the japanese yams and carrot for 50-60 minutes, until the Japanese yams are tender to touch and the carrots are fork tender when stabbed with a fork. Rotate the carrots in the marinade 2-3 times during the baking time to ensure they don’t dry out.
- Remove both the yams and carrots from the oven. To assemble the carrot dogs, split each Japanese yam open with a knife, careful not to go too far down. Drain the carrots from the excess marinade and place a carrot in each Japanese yam slit.
- Top with desired toppings– I love dill relish, yellow mustard, and fresh herbs! Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days, though best when fresh.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile