Using butternut squash as a meat replacement in these gyros sounds new, but this will definitely become a permanent slot in your dinner rotation.
Butternut Squash Gyros [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Butternut Squash Gyros [Vegan]
For the Butternut Squash:
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 1/2 pounds/1.125 kg), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (6 1/2 cups/1.625 mL)
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) finely diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) pickled red onion brine or white vinegar
For the Garlic Dill Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain non-dairy plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chopped fresh dill
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large Greek pitas
- Olive oil, for toasting the pita
- Quick Pickled Red Onions
- Vegan feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Fresh dill
How to Prepare Butternut Squash Gyros [Vegan]
Make The Butternut Squash Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, avocado oil, coriander, cumin, gar- lic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss to mix well. Spread the squash mixture evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until the squash is golden brown and tender, about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Make The Salad:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olive oil, dill, and pickled red onion brine. Season with salt.
Make The Garlic Dill Sauce:
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, dill, and salt.
Assemble The Gyros:
- Heat a dry medium nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Working with 1 pita at a time, drizzle a little olive oil on each side and heat in the pan until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side.
- In the centre of each pita, layer the roasted butternut squash, salad, Garlic Dill Sauce, Pickled Red Onions, and a sprinkle of feta , if using.
- Garnish with the dill and fold the sides together.
Vegan: Use non-dairy yogurt, vegan mayonnaise, and vegan feta cheese. Gluten-free: Use gluten-free Greek pitas.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.