What's better than a big ol' cinnamon roll that's sweet and dense, yet fluffy on the inside? These are legit cinnamon rolls, with all the yeasty, cinnamon-y, icing goodness you’d rightfully expect. The recipe makes a bunch, and the rolls freeze beautifully – so you can enjoy a warm, indulgent breakfast anytime.
‘Buttermilk’ Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 packets active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons almond milk, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 cups flour, plus additional for kneading and rolling out dough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Grease a 10x15-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Place the water in the bowl of your electric mixer, stir in the yeast until dissolved and let sit for 10 minutes. Combine 1 1/2 cups almond milk and the apple cider vinegar in a small saucepan and let sit for 10 minutes. Melt 2 tablespoons of the non-dairy spread.
- Heat the “buttermilk” until warm to the touch. Add the melted non-dairy spread and the vegetable oil and stir to combine. Pour into the mixer bowl and beat on low until combined. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda and beat until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead about 20 times, adding more flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking. Cover with a towel and let rest for 15 minutes. Clean and dry the saucepan.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup of vegan buttery spread in the cleaned saucepan – remove from heat and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Roll dough out on a floured cutting board, to about the width and length of the board. Spread the brown sugar mixture over, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Starting on one long side, roll the dough up into a log and slice into 1-inch pieces. Place, cut sides up, in your prepared pan. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes (or refrigerate overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes and transfer rolls to a wire rack set over a piece of foil or parchment.
- Whisk the confectioner’s sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons almond milk, adjusting the ingredients if needed to get a thick, pourable icing. Transfer to a sealable bag, snip a small hole in one corner and drizzle over the rolls. Serve warm.
Adapted from The Gay Vegans.