In this unique dish, savory and sweet granola infused with nori sheet fragments sit atop a rich and chunky broccoli and rice soup. The soup is garlicky and just a little spicy from wasabi and the granola adds a great crunch factor. Made primarily with oats, almonds, and seeds, this granola is a more nutritious option than croutons, which are the usual soup go-to.
Broccoli Soup With Nori Granola [Vegan]
For the Broccoli Soup:
- Olive oil
- 1 leek
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 1 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
For the Nori Granola:
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Zest from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 nori sheets
To Make the Soup:
- Halve the leek, lengthwise, rinse thoroughly and then slice it into half-moon shapes. Separate the broccoli florets from the stem, then chop it up. Mince garlic.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a saucepan. Sautée the leek slices over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and keep frying for 1 minute. Add vegetable broth, rice, and broccoli stems to pot. Cook for 15 minutes, or until rice is soft. Add frozen peas and broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Purée the soup with immersion blender, until it is smooth.
- Dilute the wasabi paste with a bit of water, then season the soup with wasabi liquid, lemon juice, pepper, and salt, if needed.
- Preheat the soup, then garnish with nori granola just before serving.
To Make the Granola:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix syrup, water, tahini, miso paste, and lemon zest, to smooth paste.
- Combine oats, sesame seeds, almonds, and spices. Cut nori sheets to 1-centimeter wide strips and tear strips to small flakes. Add nori flakes to the oat mixture.
- Pour tahini mixture over oats and mix. Spread granola on a baking tray and sprinkle it with salt. Bake granola 20-30 minutes, or until it feels dry. Let cool.