Bougatsa is a semi-sweet breakfast cake that originated in Greece. This dense, hearty bread is perfumed with cinnamon and fresh orange zest that make it the perfect way to start your mornings out. Plus, it's simple and quick to make.
Bougatsa: Greek Breakfast Cake [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 3 1/3 cups oats, measure after ground into flour
- 8 1/2 tablespoons orange juice plus zest
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a bowl combine the flours, cinnamon, clove powder, and baking powder.
- In another bowl combine the oil with your agave syrup and vanilla extract. Gradually combine the two mixtures.
- Put the orange juice and baking soda into a bowl. Pour this bubbly liquid into the dough and knead it. Divide this it into four parts.
- Roll them out with a rolling pin and shape them into four circles. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30-35 minutes, if you use oat flour or 20-25 minutes if you use oats. Sprinkle the cakes with coconut sugar and cinnamon (optional).