It’s that time of the year again! a time of sharing food with family and what better way than these delicious cookies. These would be a perfect little gift for someone or just a nice treat to have anytime of year.
Berry Chia Jam Thumbprint Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/3 cup almond meal (this recipe used blanched)
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup nut butter (this recipe used peanut)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup berries (this recipe used a mix of fresh strawberries, raspberries and frozen black berries)
- 1/2 cup water
- squeeze of lemon
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Pre heat oven to 350ºF.
- First make your chia jam by adding berries, water and lemon juice to saucepan. On a low heat bring to a simmer and start squashing berries down with wooden spoon until they are nice and soft. Add chia seeds and stir until thick then turn off heat and let cool in pan.
- In a large mixing bowl add in all your cookie ingredients and stir until it becomes a dough consistency.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and take a small amount of dough (about a tablespoon) and roll into ball, press down in palm on hand and make a hole in centre with thumb. Continue for the remaining cookie dough.
- With a teaspoon, place small drops of chia seeds into the hole of cookies and place in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they are golden brown around the edges. Once they are ready, let cool and enjoy!
- Store these in an airtight container.