Beets are also a rich source of the phytonutrients called betalains — red and yellow carotenoid pigments. Betalains from beets have been found to display strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification properties.
Beet Burgers [Vegan]
- 3 medium sized beets
- 1 onion, diced
- Shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 can adzuki beans, drained
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons Spike salt-free seasoning
- 1 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke or 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2-3 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Grate the beets in a food processor.
- Water sauté the onion, mushrooms and beets until the beets are tender.
- Transfer 1/2 of the cooked beet/onion/mushroom to a food processor. Add the beans and rice and pulse until mixed.
- Combine this, the remaining beet mixture and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Form into patties about 4 inches in diameter and ¾ inch high (about ½ cup of mixture per patty).
- Bake for 30 minutes. Flip and bake another 20 minutes.
- Serve on a bun or over some greens with your favorite toppings!