This Banana Toffee Pie is my homage to Costa Rica and its lovely banana trees. It contains a variety of natural sweeteners, including lucuma powder, a low-glycemic extract from the Peruvian fruit lucuma.
Banana Toffee Pie [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
1 8-inch pie
- ½ c. Brazil nut flour
- ½ c. coconut flour
- ¼ c. coconut palm sugar
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. maple extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. coconut nectar
- ¾ c. plus 2 tbsp. melted cacao butter (see page 27)
- ¼ c. lucuma powder
- ¾ c. coconut nectar
- 1 tsp. butterscotch extract
- 1 large firm but ripe banana
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ c. coconut cream
- Line an 8" pie pan with wax paper.
- Place the Brazil nut flour, coconut flour, palm sugar, sea salt, maple extract, and vanilla extract in a food processor. Turn on the machine and, as it’s running, add the coconut nectar. Process until well combined but still very crumbly. Pour the crumbs into the pie pan. Working your way from the center out, press the crumbs down and out toward the edges, then up the sides with your thumb to form an even crust. Set aside and make the caramel.
- Place the melted cacao butter in a small bowl, then add the lucuma powder, coconut nectar, and butterscotch extract. Whisk with a fork until all clumps are gone and the mixture turns a caramel color. Pour three-fourths of the caramel into the piecrust and reserve the remainder for later use. Make the filling and the cream.
- Slice the banana into 1⁄4" rounds. Place the slices on top of the caramel layer, working your way from the center out.
- Place the vanilla bean powder and coconut cream in a medium bowl. Mix lightly with an electric or hand mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Place a pastry bag in a tall glass, allowing the edges of the bag to hang over the rim of the glass. Scoop the cream into the bag, then use it to create light, interlocking puffs of cream on top of the bananas. Grate just enough raw chocolate over the cream to create a freckling of chocolate. Dip a fork into the remaining caramel and drizzle it lightly on top. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile