Sweet, moist, decadent ... this french toast is a keeper, for sure! It gets a soft doughy texture from almond milk, and a lovely flavor from ground cardamom and pure vanilla extract. You can follow the recipe to the T and adorn this french toast with berries and maple syrup or get creative!
Almond Cardamom and Vanilla French Toast [Vegan]
For the French Toast:
- 4-6 slices day old bread
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flour (millet, spelt, whole wheat, etc.)
- 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- Coconut oil, for the pan
For the Toppings:
- Maple syrup
- Ground almonds
- Lemon zest
- Fresh blueberries and blackberries
- Place almond milk, cardamom, vanilla, flour, nutritional yeast, and maple syrup in a blender and blend until smooth. You can also whisk together in small bowl. Place bread in a shallow baking dish and pour the almond milk mixture over top. Let the bread soak for a minute or two then flip it over so all sides are well coated.
- Heat a drizzle of coconut oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add bread and cook for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh berries, lemon zest, ground almonds and plenty of maple syrup on the side.