Biscotti are the perfect treat for a cool morning with hot tea or coffee! Keep this recipe in mind for a homemade gift, too as biscotti looks stunning in a pretty tin. It’s easier to make than you’d think, and it stores and travels beautifully too! Add a lovely note and you’ll be sure to touch someone’s heart the way only handmade gifts can do.
Almond Biscotti with Chocolate Drizzle [Vegan]
1.5 dozen, 18 biscotti
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup vegan butter substitute, melted (I used Earth Balance Organic Whipped Buttery Spread)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips dairy-free, melted
- To toast the sliced almonds, preheat oven to 325 F.
- Spread the almonds out evenly on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. Keep a close eye and set the timer to make sure the almonds do not burn.
- When the almonds are done toasting, set them aside and turn up the oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk together.
- Stir the toasted sliced almonds into the dry ingredients.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine wet ingredients: almond milk, melted vegan butter substitute, and vanilla extract. Add the cane sugar, and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well, and gently stir to combine the wet and dry ingredients together, being careful not to over-stir.
- Toward the end of the mixing use your hands to gently knead the dough together. Divide dough evenly in half.
- Form two logs with the dough and place onto the lined baking sheet.
- Using a piece of parchment paper and a rolling pin, gently roll the logs to flatten out slightly. The general size of the logs should be 9 inches x 4 inches x ¾ inch thick.
- Score the logs where you will later cut into biscotti slices. Using a knife make light lines about every ¾ inch. This will really help to cut the biscotti when the logs are done baking.
- Bake the logs for 30 minutes at 350 F.
- Allow the logs to cool for 10 minutes before handling, and turn the oven down to 325 F.
- With a serrated knife, using a sawing motion cut the biscotti along the score marks.
- Place biscotti cut side up back onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 325 F.
- When the biscotti are cool enough to handle move them to a cooling rack, with a tray or parchment paper underneath to catch chocolate drippings.
- In a double broiler, or in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds, melt chocolate chips.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the biscotti. You can do this one of two ways -- either using a spoon, or by making a paper cone with parchment paper and adding melted chocolate to the cone to spread across the biscotti.
- Allow the biscotti to cool, and the melted chocolate to firm up.
- When the biscotti are completely cooled and the chocolate is firm to the touch, store in an airtight container.