These sushi cups are guaranteed to impress whomever you set them in front of. The sushi rice is tangy, sticky, and filled avocados and a faux ahi that is better than the real thing. This recipe is a must-make for anyone who loves sushi.
Ahi Sushi Cups [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Rice Cups:
- 1 cup of uncooked sushi rice (you can also use short grain brown rice for a healthier option, but then you will need to cook it longer, for 50 minutes)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
For the Filling:
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 Roma tomato, cored and cubed
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 sheet nori
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Add it to a small pot with 2 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer, covered, on low heat for 20 minutes. Allow the rice to cool.
- Mix the other rice ingredients together in a small bowl and add them to the rice and mix it well.
- Line a muffin tin with parchment paper (just cut a small paper and line it inside each cup so it will be easy for you to pull the rice cups once they set).
- Add a tablespoon or so (depending on the size of your muffin cups) of rice and press it down the bottom and the edges so you can have a cup like shape. Refrigerate this for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Cut the bell pepper into small cubes and blanch them in enough water to cover them for 2 minutes then rinse them with cold water.
- Cut the tomato, cucumber, and avocado into cubes.
- In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients and stir in all the vegetables.
- Let them sit in the marinade until the rice cups are ready to take out of the refrigerator.
- Take the rice cups out of the refrigerator and pop them out of the muffin tin.
- Place them on a service platter and fill them with vegetable mixture.
- Add some Siracha sauce or vegan mayo to give them a richer flavor and sprinkle some black sesame seeds.