HAZELNUT MILK is an amazing plant-based alternative to dairy milk. Neither as common or popular as almond, hazelnut milk possesses several health-boosting properties:
- all hazelnut milk is naturally gluten-, lactose-, and soy-free
- it is low in calories, containing no cholesterol or saturated fat
- it is a good source of vitamins B1, B2 and B6 which are all essential in blood formation and mental health
- hazelnuts are also an excellent source of the antioxidant vitamin E which promotes healthy hair and skin, as well as boosting the health of the heart muscles
- hazelnuts help to prevent anaemia, cancer and heart-disease
- rich in folic acid, which is important for growing babies and adults, this helps to produce red blood cells and transport oxygen around the body
- hazelnuts also provides the body with proteins
- it is rich in plant-based omega-3 fatty acid ALA, which has been proven to help keep cholesterol and blood pressure in check
- the milk is very versatile can be used just as dairy milk in cooking or drunk plain or with cereal or a hot beverage.
- it doesn’t taste anything like dairy milk, offering a nutty flavour that is stronger than almond milk
WHAT TO BUY
PACIFIC NATURAL FOODS is the main manufacturer of hazelnut milk at present.
In addition to the 32-ounce packs Pacific have 8-ounce packs which are ideal to drink on-the-go or for packed lunches.
HOW TO MAKE
- 2 – 3 cups filtered water
- 1 cup hazelnuts, soaked in water
- 2-4 pitted Medjool dates (sweeten to taste)
- 1 whole vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla essence (to taste)
- Place hazelnuts in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for a minimum of 8-12 hours overnight.
- Rinse and drain the hazelnuts and place into a blender along with filtered water, dates, and vanilla bean.
- Blend on full power for 1 minute.
- Place a nut milk bag over a bowl and slowly pour the mixture in, repeatedly squeezing the bag to release all of the milk.
- Rinse blender and pour the milk back in, blending on low power to achieve a smooth consistency
- Pour into a glass jar and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. Drink!
Image credit: waferboard/Flickr