Poha-Flattened rice (also called beaten rice) is a dehusked rice which is flattened into flat light dry flakes. This easily digestible form of raw rice is very popular across Nepal, India and Bangladesh, and is normally used to prepare snacks or light and easy fast food in a variety of Indian cuisine styles. The thickness of the flakes varies depending on the use. This breakfast preparation uses thick Poha, which can be bought from any Indian Store. Thick rice flakes or brown rice flakes can also be found in some local health stores or online stores.
Cooked Poha is a quick breakfast or snack served in most parts of India. The preparation might be a different with additions or different nuts or vegetables, or shredded coconut depending on the region.
It is a carb heavy snack if made without any nuts. To make it a more balanced breakfast, I usually add a good helping of nuts and/or green peas. You can also use brown rice flakes to make this same preparation.
Breakfast Poha: Flattened Rice Flakes Cooked with Veggies and Nuts [Vegan]
- 1.5 cup thick Poha (thick flattened rice)
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil or any cooking oil
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chilies ( or to taste, finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 medium potato( boiled to just about done, chopped into medium size cubes)
- 1/2 cup peanuts or cashews(chopped/broken)
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Salt to taste(1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped) for garnish
- Fresh lemon juice
- Soak the Poha for 5 mins in warm-hot water then drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Spread oil to evenly coat pan.
- Add mustard seeds when the oil is hot. As soon as they start to sputter, add hing (asafoetida), curry leaves and give it mix. Add diced onion and green chilies. Cook until translucent.
- Add nuts and cook for half a minute. Add chopped cooked potatoes and half the turmeric, mix and cook for a minute. If you dont have cooked potatoes, chop uncooked ones into smaller pieces, microwave them a minute at a time till almost cooked, and then add to pan.
- Add soaked Poha(flattened rice), salt and rest of the turmeric and mix well. Cook covered on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and lemon juice and serve hot!