Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Every year, tens of millions of pounds of microplastics enter the Great Lakes. The Great Lakes are some of the largest lakes in the world and are home to around 3,500 species. Millions of people depend on the lake for clean drinking water and we need to figure out a way to solve the microplastic problem.
Source: Great Lakes Now/YouTube
Thankfully, a new magnet technology could help scientists clean up the lakes and remove microplastics from the water. Research at RMT University in Melbourne, Australia, led to the finding that using magnets, hazardous materials like microplastics can be extracted sustainably from water in just an hour.
The exciting news is much needed as we are in a microplastic crisis. Microplastics have been found everywhere, from Mount Everest to the depths of the oceans, and it’s even been found in the placentas of pregnant women. It’s more important now than ever to move away from single-use plastic. Not only is it horrible for the environment, but we are constantly consuming tiny plastic particles.
We need to make sure that this new technology can be used to clean water all around the world and help with the plastic crisis!
Sign this petition to demand Congress immediately provide funding to research and fast-track this new technology so it can be widely used as soon as possible!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Protect The Once Extinct Somali Elephant Shrew
- Pledge to Recycle Your Christmas Tree
- Investigate Doctor Who Let Male Medical Student Give Woman Pelvic Exam Without Consent
- Demand Mayor Eric Adams Stop Involuntarily Locking up People With Mental Illness in NYC
- Make Sure This Woman Who Neglected Almost 200 Dogs Gets a Lifelong Ban on Animal Ownership
- Tell Alabama to Ban the Death Penalty After Three Botched Lethal Injections
- Demand Shein Abide by Labor Laws and Stop Exploiting Workers
- Demand the DEA Revise the Opioid Regulation Strategy
- Demand Proper Oversight for Edmonton Zoo After Years of Welfare Concerns
- Free Two Beagle Puppies Who Are Facing Death in Police Custody
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!